Sunday, July 12, 2009

September on the Island, a Landscape Painting


What's your favorite children's book? I have several, but one at the top of the list points to my love of horses. I remember reading Marguerite Henry's MISTY OF CHINCOTEAGUE when I was a little girl. I became caught up in the adventure of the wild pony swim and the Chincoteague's Volunteer Fire Department's Pony Auction in July. I imagined riding a wild pony on Chincoteague Island in Virginia as a child. The thrill of horse taming, the lure of the island's water and trees, and the adventure of going somewhere new made a big impression on me. It was one of those books that I kept rereading throughout my childhood. I wanted to travel there when I was a kid, but it just never happened. So, later, as an adult, when I had a chance to visit Virginia, one of my most cherished stops was Chincoteague. The ponies are still there, and so is the beautiful setting. Magic revisited!

This recent painting brought back the memories of all of that. When looking through my Virginia travel photos, I noticed one that looked promising in terms of composition. The wild bird in the foreground taunted me to get started with the painting. The vivid colors of fall helped me kick it up a notch. I worked on the water's reflections and shadows in order to breathe some life into it as well.

This landscape painting entitled "September on the Island" was created with soft pastels on a 5x7 sanded pastel board. I think it would look good in an easel or matted and framed for the wall as an 8x10. Either way, it's for sale at $40.

Hope you'll write and tell me about your favorite childhood book or getaway.















No comments:

Post a Comment