Sunday, May 29, 2011

Down by the Pond~~Paintings and a Personal Narrative

Terrapene
Waiting for Lunch
_________________________________________________________
DOWN BY THE POND
by Cindy Morawski
Splash! I saw my turtle swim away from me into the late afternoon's watery shadows of the pond. I stared at the ripples waiting for him to surface. He did. And, as he came up for air, he turned his head and looked right into my eyes. I felt relieved to be acknowledged. Maybe he was grateful.
___________________________________________________
First thing in the morning, I heard my dogs barking in the side yard so I went outside to see what all the fuss was about. I scanned around to see if there was someone walking by with a dog. I looked up into the trees for squirrels. Rusty and Phin-Dog could get very excited about seeing another dog or taking in the quick and quirky movement of a squirrel. Nothing so far. I started over to the backyard. I thought I'd check on the progress of the hedge that we had recently planted. I stood next to the hedge and sensed someone checking me out. It felt kind of weird because I didn't see anyone. I eyed the alley on the other side of our Japanese boxwood hedge. Now I spotted something. It wasn't moving, but it was alive. I moved toward it to get a better look. Awww, poor thing! I muttered to myself. The turtle stood still and allowed me to come closer. It looked like its shell had been mauled by something with some very large teeth. Although its head, legs, and tail looked all right. I decided to rescue it on the spot. No more close calls with dogs or coyotes for this reptile.
I called a friend of mine who rescues wildlife and asked her what I should do next. She said her neighbor had a pond and rescued turtles. It was a perfect solution. I drove the turtle over to the release location. Next, I gently picked him up from the box that I found in our garage, and then headed to the pond. Solidly placing my friend at the little pond's edge, I whispered good-bye and good luck, Terrapene, Latin for box turtle.
___________________________________________________________________
I'm open to commissioned art work.
**********************************
Do you have someone or something that you'd like to honor with a painting? I take commissions for pet portraits, landscapes, and still lifes. If you'd like to honor your pet (any kind) with a keepsake painting, I could have it painted for you within two weeks. Just email or give me a photo and I could have it completed with a frame, and ready to hang, in no time. Also, if you would like to commemorate your home (inside or out), your yard or garden, a photo from your travels or a vacation, or some personal treasures such as found objects, antiques, dolls, collections, etc., I could paint those as well. What better way to give a gift to yourself or to a loved one than with a painting that you initiate with a commission. Please call or email me for prices and more details. (studio phone: 210.522.0706, email: cski02@sbcglobal.net)
__________________________________________________________________
Hope you have a relaxing Memorial Day!
Congratulations to all you graduates too!
~~Cindy
Cindy Morawski
Morawski Fine Art

No comments:

Post a Comment