Monday, August 31, 2009

New Painting to Counteract the Heat: "Blue Ice at Cold Creek"


After Bill the weatherman on Channel 5 announced that San Antonio broke another of a blistering series of over one hundred degree record breakers, I decided that if it wasn't going to cool down outside then I was going to try to cool off with my imagination. Exercise #1: Think Arctic Circle and polar bears! No, somehow I kept thinking of all that fur on those bears and that made me all the hotter. Exercise #2: Take long, cold showers. Oops! Bad idea. The water police might come a'knockin' for, afterall, we are now in Stage 2 of water restrictions due to the drought and hot weather. Exercise #3: Paint a winter landscape with snow and ice. Ahhh! Yes, that was the ticket. I put the ceiling fan on tornado speed, planned my winter composition, and proceeded to select all my soothing and cool colors.

After sketching in those refreshing green trees in the background, I jumped right into the blues, lavenders, and whites of the icy mountain creek and snowy fields along the meandering water. Brrrrrr! It was starting to work; I was already feeling my inner thermostat plummet. Next, I reached into the back of my closet and pulled out a sweater. Mind over matter! Art can create more than just a cover for a hole in the wall.
If you're interested in a winter landscape, this painting is currently for sale. The pastel painting is an 8x10, framed in beautiful burl wood with a 3 inch gallery-type frame. It's painted on sanded pastelboard as well. The list price is $85. Please feel free to contact me if you're interested. And, all you Texans, let's pray for a serious cold front!
--Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment