Saturday, September 5, 2009

Finding my Roots at the North Antrim Coast of Ireland

I am a blend of cultures. First of all, I am an American. I was born and raised in the United States so I am a product of the American culture. When I lived in England for three years while teaching English at a DOD school and I traveled through Europe, I was rarely mistaken for anything other than an American. My British friends told me that they could tell I was an American at least 5oo yards away. I had that cheerful, open look about me. I dressed in brighter colors and had a more casual appearance than most of my UK neighbors. I talked louder and laughed more than a lot of the natives. It was obvious that I was an American. Second, I am a Scotch Irish descendant. I have known that I was Irish since I was a little girl. I remember an Irish great aunt grabbing my cheeks and pinching them. Hey! A little too hard. And then exclaiming, "Aren't you a wee one!" Relatives visiting our farm when I was a child would be speaking English, but they sounded different. Sometimes I could barely understand them due to their thick Irish brogue. They reminded me of the leprechauns on the TV commericials for Lucky Charms. I found it endearing. I began to notice my roots. I took comfort in the fact that I belonged to a large tribe that had migrated to America, but was still out there in the Old Country. I knew that someday I wanted to go to Ireland and look back over the sea to America and consider my beginnings. Well, it took awhile, but finally I did it! At age 54, I flew to Belfast, Ireland with my cousins, rented a car, and headed north to the Antrim Coast. After stretching my legs from the car drive, I slowly headed toward the coastline cliff. Drawn like a lemming to the edge, I parted the tall grass and peered out at the ocean. Although, unlike a lemming, fortunately I didn't take a leap, but I did stand there for awhile and reflect on the natural beauty of my surroundings and then considered the wonder and mystery of "who" I was. I felt a pull like the ocean's undertow. It was a full circle moment for me. Feeling a lump in my throat and the tears pooling in my eyes, I sent out a quiet message of gratitude to all my Irish family, both past and present. I am a blend of cultures and now I think I understand.





The above pastel painting is a tribute to Ireland, and it's entitled "Finding my Roots at the North Antrim Coast of Ireland." (Oh, my, I know, a long title!) It's painted on a 16 x 20 Ampersand Pastelbord with soft pastels. Plus, I framed it in a wide, gold gallery-style frame for hanging. It's online price is $250. And, if you happen to be Irish, I'll give you a 10% discount. Although, unless you're family, I might need a little convincing! I painted this in my studio from a series of photographs that I'd taken from my trip two years ago. This is the painting I have wanted to do from the start, but put it off. I wanted to get it right. I like the bold turquoise, the soft greens, and the texture of the cliff and rocks. I'm glad I have a product of this journey. It's a reminder of something I value. Whether or not you're Irish, I hope you'll consider purchasing this painting for your home.

Cheers! --Cindy

1 comment: