Monday, July 20, 2009

Discovering Mitchell Lake, a Pastel Landscape Painting



Did you know that there's a 1200 acre natural area located south of San Antonio? It's called the Audubon Center at Mitchell Lake. It includes a 600 acre lake, 215 acres of wetlands, and 385 acres of upland habitat. You can find it at 10750 Pleasanton Road in San Antonio off South Loop 410. It's open to the public on the weekends from 8 to 4 and only costs $2.

I discovered Mitchell Lake last summer. I found beautiful landscapes with water, grasses, trees, and birds. And, I didn't have to drive hundreds of miles to get there. I took my camera and enjoyed photographing the scenes of nature. Later, I sketched some of what I'd photographed, but didn't get around to painting a scene until this summer. Sometimes, it takes awhile for creativity to perk or simmer.

I painted my landscape entitled "Discovering Mitchell Lake" on a sanded Art Spectrum Painting Board that measures 12 x 16 using pastels. By accenting the foreground with the dark purple grasses, I also showed a contrast with the lighter values of the lake in the mid-ground and the trees in the background.

Our world continues to amaze me with its natural beauty and loveliness. By painting landscapes, I get a chance to appreciate nature and to also interpret it through my view as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment