Monday, June 4, 2012

Open to Possibilities~~Painting a Big Sky

 A Day in the Clouds
18x24
Pastel Painting
~~Cindy Morawski~~




****************************************************

Haiku

A day in the clouds
Lost in dreams of light and wind
A place of wonder.

~~Cindy Morawski

****************************************************

Open to Possibilities

When I look upon a big, open sky, I see possibilities.  That sky looks like you could just walk right into it.  Play in it.  Meditate in it.  A day in the clouds.  

I first viewed this sky in Abiquiu, New Mexico, last fall in early October.  I stayed at Ghost Ranch for a week~~ hiking, painting, studying, and getting inspired.  My visit helped me rest, renew, and regroup.  Painting the spectacular landscapes was certainly a part of it.  But, it wasn't the only thing.  

While I painted this landscape in my studio last week, using several photo references that I had taken while in New Mexico, I kept humming this old tune . . .  "Blue skies shining on me, Nothing but blue skies do I see."  The music and words created a rhythm and harmony that helped me get in the flow of creating. 
I first laid down an underpainting; then, I proceeded with sketching my shapes.  After that, I chose my color palette.  Next, I continued by alternating the use of my hard and soft pastels to create my vision of the sky that inspired me to paint.  As I worked, I'd step away and re-examine.  What did I want my viewer to see?  I hoped the movement, color, and light of the sky's clouds would come across.   What do I see?  The sacredness of nature.  The endless possibilities of seeing the world through a different lens and new eyes.   

I'm going to frame this painting with a Rio Grande grey wood frame.  Please feel free to come by my gallery online or at my home for a closer look. 


Wishing you blue skies!
~~Cindy
  • www.CindyMorawski.com
  • Mockingbird Studio & Gallery,  8603 Waldon Hts., San Antonio, TX  78254,  phone:  210.522.0706
    .




No comments:

Post a Comment