Saturday, August 25, 2012

San Antonio~~Past & Present in Recent ArtWork

 The Golden Age of Mission San Jose
 
 



Night on East Houston


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Celebrating my City with Two Paintings

by Cindy Morawski


 
When I first came to Texas, I noticed a sign in a downtown gift shop that said, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I came here as fast as I could."  I arrived in San Antonio in 1984.  I'm not a native, but I have a real love for this place.  You could say that it's an attachment that just won't go away. 
 
Giving the grand tour of San Antonio to my visiting relatives from other states such as Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Wisconsin, I always stop at the Alamo and the Missions.  Mission San Jose is my favorite.  Over the past few years, Paul and I have started at that mission and then bicycled along the trails to the other missions.  Biking along the San Antonio River is peaceful and lovely.  When I think of San Antonio's past, I can't help but wonder what life was like at the missions when they first were built.  I've read the history, but I would love to take a Time Tunnel Trip back and check it out myself. 
 
This past year, Paul and I have been fortunate to have made friends with a wonderful guy named Kevin Cartwright.  We first met him this past year at the SAVA Gallery Art Reception in downtown San Antonio.  He bought a couple of my landscape paintings that were at the gallery.  Paul and I liked him on the spot.  He was friendly, bright, and had a good sense of humor.  We all shared a love of traveling and art.  Later in the spring, Kevin invited us to his home above the Majestic Theater for an art reception to celebrate the artwork that he had collected from me and some other local artists.  I met his friends and liked them too.  Kevin also had us over for a 4th of July party.  I couldn't forget Kevin's birthday; he was born on the 4th! I also couldn't get over the incredible view from his apartment.  His huge living room windows allowed you to see everything on the street below and in the city's distance.  When the fireworks went off from the Tower at Hemisphere Park, it was an unforgettable show.  I kept revisiting the night sights of  East Houston Street in my mind.  The bright colors and energy made me feel like a part of my brain just woke up from a long winter's nap. 
 
I am a constant creature of the suburbs.  I love Braun Station West where I live in the Northwest area of the city, but I am fascinated with the urban landscape every time I go downtown to see friends, work at one of my art galleries, or dine out at a San Antonio restaurant.  Downtown seems to have its own pulse and rhythm.  When I meet the tourists who visit the galleries where I work, I am able to look at my city through fresh eyes.  They ask me what sights to see, where to eat, and what events are going on at the time.  I enjoy talking to them.  Sometimes, I feel like an ambassador from SA.  I try to share goodwill with my new acquaintances.  I guess, I hope that they'll love San Antonio, too. 
 
Recently, I have tried to celebrate San Antonio's Past and Present through a couple of paintings.  I want to do a whole series in the months ahead.  The first one features my favorite mission, San Jose.  I wanted to honor it by painting it with warm and regal tones of gold and red.  A Golden Age.  The second painting takes a closer look at the present.  Neon lights, tall and modern buildings, traffic, and noise.  I hope I captured some of that with my night scene of East Houston Street. 
 
One of my past art teachers once told me to paint what I love.  I have painted lots of subjects such as my beloved pets, landscapes of my favorite parks where I hike and bike, and places that I travel to on vacation.  Now, I've taken a good hard look at my city.  Thanks, San Antonio!  Your beauty and spirit will continue to inspire me.   
 
 
 
 
 
Morawski Fine Art & Framing
8603 Waldon Hts.
San Antonio, TX  78254
 
 
210.522.0706
 




No comments:

Post a Comment