Friday, October 5, 2012



 Postcards to Autumn:
A Harvest of Color in Nature
 
by Cindy Morawski

 
 Every year I get a thrill of excitement.  It starts around mid-September and gets stronger as October begins.  What's the big deal? -- you might say.  For me, it begins with the First Day of Autumn.  And, it continues as the season rolls us into thoughts of cooler weather, colorful trees, pumpkin patches, and the welcome approach of the holidays


Still Life, Autumn Harvest, Pumpkins and Squash
 I have celebrated the Autumn Season this year with a series of paintings.  The first one is a still life of a pumpkin and its cousins, the squash.  I placed them on a colorful table with a dark background to help them stand out.  The pumpkin is symbolic of the harvest of food and fun.  I can't wait to eat some pumpkin pie and pick out a pumpkin for Halloween. 


Distant Fall Journey


Last Fall, I traveled to Utopia to paint.  One of the vistas of the Texas Hill Country that really caught my eye was the view of autumn colors in the foreground, beckoning distant hills, and dancing white clouds in the sky.  I enjoyed my day out surrounded by the beauty of nature.  I parked my car by the roadside and looked out over the valley.  It was a moment that I wanted to keep re-living, so I decided to paint it. 


I painted Return to Garner to help me celebrate the New Year of 2012.  Paul and I stopped at Garner last November around Thanksgiving and enjoyed the park on a gorgeous late Fall day.  The bald cypress trees stood so elegantly in silhouette.  The autumn foliage in the background embraced the warm colors of orange, gold, and red.  The Frio reflected the colors back to us.  It was a postcard of hope and beauty.  I won't ever forget that wonderful day.



 One last postcard to Autumn belongs to my painting entitled Rooted in Long Shadows.  I also discovered this landscape at popular Garner State Park in Uvalde County.  The bright colors of the trees first drew me in.  The shadows of the trees reached out along the ground to touch me.  I walked into the afternoon's dapple of sunlight and shadows.  Standing still, I fell into the spell of opposites.  A true land of enchantment. 
                                                    


Garner Revisited







Rooted in Long Shadows       
                                                      
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
FALL Art Shows
October 2012
 
  • Candlelight SA Cafe, Season's Solo Show, all month, 3011 N. St. Mary's St.
  • Bijou Cinema Bistro, all month with SAVA Gallery Artists, 4522 Fredericksburg Rd. at Wonderland of the Americas Mall,
  • River Art Group Members Fall Competition and Sale, Oct. 5--7, SA's LaVillita, 25% of sales go to Wounded Warriors
  • Texas Pastel Society's National Juried Show, Oct. 19--Nov. 2, Art Inc Gallery on 9401 San Pedro 
  • Texas Hill Country Invitational, Oct. 19--21, Cana Ballroom at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Boerne
 
 
Happy Autumn!


                 

2 comments:

  1. I love your work! You have really captured, in your art, the feeling of what that moment would feel like for me. Thank you so much for giving me that time to remember, vividly.

    Mary Anne Bell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Anne! I appreciated your thoughtful comment. ~~Cindy

      Delete