Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Favorite Things

Pinto near Rio Medina, new spring 8x10 painting

Favorite Things
 
by Cindy Morawski
 
 
Traveling last spring to a friend's ranch southwest of San Antonio in Rio Medina, Texas, I spotted a pinto horse grazing in a field of wildflowers.  I slowly pulled my car over to the side of the gravel road and got out with my camera in hand.  The horse looked up from its scented paradise and focused on me.  I then focused my camera's lens on the animal.  I snapped the shot.  I knew it was a scene and landscape that I wanted to preserve for my art and memory files. 
 
The field was blanketed in shades of yellows and purples.  The yellow flowers in the foreground blazed like miniature suns.  I wanted to rotate around each one and feel its beauty and warmth.  The pinto stood like a sentinel guarding the wildflowers.  What a lucky horse!  I stood there riveted.  I wished that I could exchange places with her, if only for a few minutes. 
 
When I think of the things that I love most in the world, I still haven't left childhood.  I remain a lover of horses.  I'm still in love with the outdoors.  I remember gathering large bouquets of wildflowers in the spring in Pennsylvania where I grew up.  I'd ride my horse Flame through the country's fields and pastures.  I'd stop and let her graze, and I'd pick a bouquet of spring beauties to share with my mother when I returned home.  My favorite things.  Hmmmm.  The music of the creek nearby, the warm sun on my face, the perfumed field of flowers, and my beloved horse friend Flame. 
 
I looked at my watch.  How long had I been standing there by the roadside?  The horse's tail swatted some flies away and turned to find another patch of grass to graze upon.  Time to head home.  I looked around.  There were some nearby flowers that I decided to pick for a bouquet.  Some things never change.  I'm delighted about that. 
 
 
HAPPY SPRING!
~~Cindy~~
 
Morawski Fine Art
Studio:  210.522.0706

No comments:

Post a Comment