Saturday, October 24, 2015

Vintage Fall~~Looking at Autumn with New Artwork

 2015 October Art News~~Vintage Fall

September in Punderson, 16x20 autumn landscape painting

Last month in September, Paul and I visited my family and friends in Pennsylvania and Ohio.   One stop we made was to visit my Cousin Nancy and her husband Dave in Stow, Ohio.  They took us on a tour of the local countryside to see a large park and arboretum, and  then we stopped at Punderson Manor, an Ohio State Park Lodge, in Newbury.  We ended a delightful autumn day with dinner at the Welshfield Inn in Burton.  My squash casserole dish tasted like home and childhood.   

Punderson's grounds inspired one huge Kodak Moment.  We all snapped and squinted to get the perfect shot.  I knew this was a landscape that I wanted to paint after I returned to San Antonio.  The grasses, lake, and distant trees of Punderson all added to the landscape's loveliness. 



        
Autumn Arrangement, 5x7 still life painting




Delft Pitcher with Fall Leaves, 5x7 still life painting
Fall is my favorite season.  I like to decorate our home and doorway with autumn wreaths, pumpkins, and arrangements.  Autumn reminds me of chilly hayrides, cold cider, and apple picking days from childhood in Pennsylvania.  I remember Halloween parties growing up.  I loved dressing up like a pirate.  I was a big Pittsburgh Pirates fan.  I grew up with Roberto Clemente--my Hero!    


Two October still life arrangement paintings are included.  Autumn Arrangement  was placed in one of my favorite hand-painted large cups, and Delft Pitcher with Fall Leaves involved a Delft souvenir from a trip to Amsterdam.  The Fall leaves finalized my subject and composition.



Roseate Spoonbill of Mitchell Lake, 8x10 artbird portrait painting of MLAC


Earlier this month, I traveled to Mitchell Lake Audubon Center, a 1200 acre bird paradise, with my friends-- the DayTrippers.  We took a two hour tour with Brittany and discovered all kinds of local and migratory birds.  One huge surprise was sighting a small group of spoonbills perched in a distant tree by the lake.  They were hanging out with a large flock of white pelicans.  This bird seems exotic to me.  I tried to capture that feeling in my artwork.  The roseate spoonbill reminds me of flamingos with their bright pink colors and long legs. Their bills act just like spoons.  They spoon their food down the hatch with their large spoon-like bills.  Yum!



Sunset with a Tree, 11x14 Fall landscape painting

Besides painting birds, I find trees in a landscape a repeated subject matter in my studio.  In this painting, I started out by using an underpainting with NuPastels, a warm palette of reds, oranges, and golds, followed by a sketch, and then a layering of Terry Ludwig soft pastels to create an impressionistic scene.  I also used a foggy, sunlit sunset with a lone tree, embraced by soft-rounded hills.  Surrounding myself with autumn colors and a favorite landscape, I enjoyed painting this artwork in my studio. 


Sky's Promise, 5x7 sunset landscape painting

The promise of a sky's sunset is something motivating to me on a road trip through the Southwest.  I felt like I'd hit the lottery with this one!  Paul and I had several adventures along the way last June on our two week trip away from home.  This particular sunset dropped me in my tracks.  A real show-stopper!  I loved the contrasting colors.  I photographed it first, then later sketched it.  My painting came recently, one of several sunset landscapes that I have enjoyed painting this past year.  



If you are interested in a 2016 art calendar, I'm working on three new ones for the Holiday Season.  ArtBirds, Destination~~Landscapes, and Vintage Nature. They will be ready in November for some early holiday shopping.  I will also have art cards available for Christmas.  Please let me know if you'd like to place an order.  (cski02@sbcglobal.net or studio: 210.522.0706)

I have a busy Fall Art Show schedule.  My next show is a juried fine art one in Spicewood, Texas, outside Austin, November 7 and 8.  For more info, please check out my website's link--art shows and galleries.  Thanks!                       www.CindyMorawski.com


HAPPY FALL!
Cindy



No comments:

Post a Comment