Saturday, August 29, 2009

Checking out Pastel Paintings at the Butler Institute of American Art







BUTLER INSTITUTE OF AMERICAN ART
524 Wick Avenue
Youngstown, Ohio


One day when I was online, I discovered a museum named the Butler Institute of Art. It not only had a familiar sounding name, but it had an ongoing pastel painting exhibit in one of its galleries. Butler seemed familiar because I grew up not far from Butler, PA. After looking at the collections through a virtual tour, I was surpised to learn that it was the first structure built specifically to house an art collection of works created by Americans. I wondered to myself where this special place was located. After scrolling down on the website, I was shocked to see that it was only a short distance from where I grew up. However, it wasn't Butler, PA. My childhood was spent living in Enon Valley, PA. The Butler Institute of Art's location is in Youngstown, OH, and only about a half hour away from my original home. I knew then that when I next visited my Pennsylvania family, I had to go pay respects to this worthwhile art museum.

As a result, this month, I flew home to Pennsylvania to celebrate my Mom's 86th birthday. While in Pennsylvania, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and go visit the Butler Institute. I arranged to go to Youngstown with my friend Jean during the third week of August. The place did not disappoint me! First of all, the architecture of the building showcases beautiful large windows to let the light pour in. In addition, with over 20,000 individual works of art in various galleries, there's enough art to keep one busy for hours of study and appreciation. Three personal highlights for me included seeing Sam Liberman's pastel exhibition. I toured it with my longtime hometown artist friend, Jean Clark Henry. Unfortunately, we missed the complete show by 2 days, but we still saw enough of it while the museum personnel were taking it down to really appreciate his pastel landscapes. His exhibit was in the Giffuni Gallery and featured mostly paintings of landscape and nature, my favorites. My second highlight was seeing the 73rd National Midyear Juried Show. Pastelist Sean Butler's work Last Stand was included as well as Kimberly Moore's pastel entitled Niagra Sunrise. In regard to my third highlight, it had to involve the Butler's permanent collection of 19th and 20th century landscape paintings by American artists such as Winslow Homer and Albert Bierstadt. Those were a big WOW!

While reflecting on American art, I also had a wonderful day discussing it with my good friend Jeannie. August 19th was the day Jean and I toured the Butler. It was a groovy day I won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment