Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Early Snow in Ellwood: A New Pastel Painting

Early Snow in Ellwood

First Moment of Snow!

Joy! That's the feeling I had when I experienced my first moment of snow last Thanksgiving! It had been a long time since I'd even seen snow, and here I was feeling it on my face. The moment seemed to stretch into an eternity of slow-moving childhood memories of sled rides, snowball fights, and crisp, bright scenes from the past that came all in a rush of excitement. I grew up with snow in Pennsylvania. But now that I live nearer the equator in San Antonio, Texas, snow is a novelty and a treasure from my past. Since I was visiting my family for Thanksgiving in Ellwood City, PA in 2008, I expected turkey for our big meal, but what I didn't anticipate was a snowfall the day after the holiday. That was a gift!
In my recent painting entitled "Early Snow in Ellwood" I tried to capture the excitement of snow through the lingering warmth of a late autumn in reds and golds, the newness of snow through a diffused palette of light blues and lavenders, and the woodsy landscape from the western Pennsylvania countryside. My completed pastel painting is an 8x10 on pastelbord, and it will soon be listed and available through my online gallery: http://www.cindymorawski.com/.
The changing seasons never disappoint me. The chill in the air, the sudden quiet, and then the first snowflakes as they fall gently from the sky all add up to a delightful moment. Nature provides. See it with fresh eyes and enjoy!
PS: Please write and tell me about your adventures with snow.
--Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment