Saturday, September 12, 2009

Falling for Autumn! New Landscape Paintings

Joy of October

Hardwood's Lost and Found

Door County

Imagine me as Odie, the dog character in the "Garfield" cartoon strip. Drooling, excitedly jumping up and down, very, very happy!! That's me when I think of AUTUMN. It has always been my favorite season and always will be. The cooler temperatures, the vivid tree foliage, the crunch of leaves, the promise of a harvest, and the sweet perfume of a change in the air-- all contribute to my love of Fall. The sheer cheerfulness of a Halloween pumpkin can make me feel like a kid again. Buying gold and claret colored mums for our home's entrance brings magic to my front door. Just the thought of all that trick-or-treat chocolate puts a shiver down my spine. With cooler weather, I can also plan a camping trip to Bastrop or a long hike at Lost Maples Park with Paul and my friends. Plus, although I don't consider myself a TV junkie, I can look forward to the new fall line-up and the end of summer reruns. Yes, the feeling of hope is triumphant for me.
Wanting to take advantage of that manic high I've got going, I can't wait to also get out my art supplies and get some painting started. Although Fall doesn't officially start until September 22nd this year, I wanted to get an early start with some new landscapes. I started in August with my tribute to Door County, Wisconsin, by painting "Joy of October" and "Door County." A couple of years ago, Paul and I visited family in Wisconsin in October. It was an unforgettable trip with lots of photos, food, hikes, and laughter. The natural beauty of Door County took my breath away. The colorful woods, the misty lakes and wetlands, and the small town festivals contributed to my falling in love all over again with Autumn. I based my above paintings on photos I'd taken of scenes from the Northeastern Wisconsin landscapes I viewed and appreciated.
Joy of Autumn and Door County are 8 x 10 landscapes on Ampersand tinted Pastelbord. The still life of Hardwood's Lost and Found is a 5 x 7 on Pastelbord as well. All are ready to hang with completed complimentary matting and framing. Joy of Autumn is already sold, but the others are price-listed online and ready for purchase. So, even if you're not a complete and utter fool for Fall like me, I hope you have a good Autumn. And, if you are from San Antonio, you all deserve some cooler and wetter weather this season!
I'll leave you with an excerpt from Robert Frost in his verse entitled "October."
O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all. . .
Release one leaf at break of day,
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away.
Enchant the land with
amethyst,
Slow, slow!

AUTUMN GREETINGS and GOOD WISHES!! --Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment