Saturday, June 25, 2011

Photo Essay~~June 2011~~Road Trip Travels and Inspiration ~~ Mackinac Island

Rocky Island Coastline

Off the Bike Path

Clouds and Sky on our Road Trip

Lake Michigan Lighthouse

Arch Rock, 146 Feet above the water

Patriotic and Colorful Waterfront Home


No Cars Allowed!

Light and Shadow

Lovely Lilacs, Lilac Festival 2011
View of the Bay
Red Geraniums on a Victorian Porch
Shoreline Landscape
Mackinac's Garden Flowers
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, City Park

Seagull Friend at First Rest Stop

British Landing on Mackinac Island

Tall Towering Trees on the Island

Coastline's Wild Flowers

Quaint Mackinac Home on Shoreline Blvd.

Inviting Rest Stop

Trinity Church

Tulips along the way . . .

Starline Ferry--Jet Power!

A View of Fort Street

Checking Out the Fort


Dave and Karen

Uncle Arthur and Aunt Nancy

Paul and Cindy

Say Cheese!

Grand Hotel

Smilin' Saber

Waiting for the Ferry

Wisconsin Countryside

Red Barns of Wisconsin

Photo Inspiration and Essay, My Summer Happiness Project 2011
 by Cindy Morawski


Every now and then I get lucky.  This past trip to Wisconsin and Michigan made me feel that way.  I took my camera with me in the hope that I'd capture some of the countryside and landscapes along the journey.  I hoped too that I'd gain some inspiration for my pastel paintings later on as well.  When I first arrived in Wisconsin, the intensity of all those rain-fed greens almost made my eyes hurt.  I had been used to seeing mostly browns in San Antonio due to the third biggest drought in Texan history this past year.  However, I knew a 'Kodac Moment' when I saw one.  Paul and I started out the first day in Wisconsin by hiking through a city park that borders my aunt and uncle's place.  The light and shadows, wildflowers, grass pathways, and wildlife all contributed to a win-win walk through an outdoor wonderland.  We even saw a napping muskrat along the bank of the local creek.  Other sitings included a groundhog, butterflies, a squirrel, chipmunks, and a variety of birds. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a visit in Marinette in Northern Wisconsin at my Cousin David and his wife Karen's lovely home, we took to the road once more and traveled North onto the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  Lake Michigan was on our right as we advanced toward our goal-- Mackinac Island, another four hours away.  When we arrived,  we hopped a ferry and then 20 minutes later we stepped foot onto Mackinac.  Horse-drawn carriages, fudge shops galore, and Victorian homes lined Shoreline Boulevard as we made our way toward our hotel, the Harbor View Inn, in order to check in and freshen up.  After that, some of us rented bicycles and then we toured around the island, stopping for views and picture taking.  The bicycling trip was definitely one of my personal highlights.  The island's fresh air and great views along with our group's spirited energy all combined to make it seem like a perfect moment in time! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Day two led us to Fort Mackinac and some fascinating living history.  We all toured the fort and then extended our history trip by walking and visiting the historic places along Market Street, site for the early fur trading in Mackinac's resourceful past.  Our final stop before we caught the 3 o'clock ferry back to the mainland was the Grand Hotel.  Several pictures later, we walked back to Main Street and the nearby visitor's center and ferry boat dock.  Rechecking to make sure we had all our luggage and bags, we made our way onto the ferry, looking back one more time to say good-bye to the island paradise known as Mackinac.



No comments:

Post a Comment