Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy 4th of July! Feeling Grateful in 2011

American Flag Flying High
Feeling Grateful in 2011
by Cindy Morawski

Military Tatoo in Washington DC
Thinking about the 4th of July can include picnics, parades, and fireworks.  But, thinking about the 4th might also include some gratitude for the American Dream.  If you have ever talked to someone who has recently become a citizen of the United States or someone who has lived apart from the U.S. for awhile, you might see some common threads~~Appreciation for what we're doing right.  I'm not saying America is fault-free.  Just like its citizens, Americans are a blend of good and bad, right and wrong.  However, I still see our country as a place founded on solid and shining values and common sense. 

****************************************************************************************************
Our Capitol
What other place has "the pursuit of happiness" in its constitution?  When I stayed for a month in Turkey over a decade ago, I kept getting asked, "Where is your husband?"  Traveling as a woman alone is definitely frowned upon in some countries.  When I returned to the United States and pursued more traveling later, I couldn't help but notice that that question was no longer asked.  Freedom to move around, freedom to pursue happiness, and freedom to write this.  All that and more moves me to say "yes" . . . yes, I want to celebrate the birth of our country!  Red, white, and blue . . . stars and stripes forever . . . I pledge allegiance to the flag . . . I have a holiday, and it reminds me to be grateful.  What a country!

Lovin' America!


Paul, the Patriot, pictured in Colonial Williamsburg
Colorful Patriotic American Home

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

~~ Cindy




*************************************************************************************************** 










No comments:

Post a Comment