Monday, January 9, 2012

Art and Haiku for the New Year

New Artwork and Verse for the New Year

Images from the Natural and Spirtual World

by Cindy Morawski



Last Thursday, I attended a special art exhibit at the McNay called the Orient Expressed, Japan's Influence on Western Art, 1854 - 1918.  www.McNayArt.org   I noticed while I was walking around and taking in the show's artwork, which continues through January 15th, that they had invited the viewers to "Tweet"  a haiku for their favorite work of art.  There was an on-going competion for the Best Twittered Verse.  Besides the lovely woodcuts, watercolors, and oil paintings, some poems expressed well the subject- matter- at- hand in the drawing or painting.  It was double the pleasure.  Art and Poetry.  What a marriage!


After returning home, I felt inspired to do the same with my recent paintings.  I wrote a haiku to match each work of art.  However, before I rush into showing you the results, let me tell you a little something about what a haiku includes. 

          Haiku or Japanese verse come usually in lines of three.  They don't have
          to rhyme, but they should be in the following syllable count within the
          lines of the poem--  5,7,5.  Often they are about nature and include imagery
          and figurative language. 





Come Together


How does it feel to

Be distanced from everyone?

Red bird on a wire.




Grackle Cackle


I heard your cackle

No text, email, or twitter

One loud grackle's cry




Sunset Song on the Wires


Gathering in song

Sun's descent into crimson

A high flock of lullabies





Blessed Assurance


Blessed assurance

Seeking a spiritual home

Simple, sacred place




Return to Garner


Silhouetted trees

Cypress lines of gracefulness

'Gainst a brilliant shore



Have you ever written a haiku before?  If not, this might make for a happy discovery.  Write about a pet, your job, a movie, anything at all . . .   Please send it to me, and I'll post it on my next blog.  (with your permission, of course)  Also, it can be accompanied with a photo or artwork if you'd like.  I'll include that as well with your permission.    (Email:  cski02@sbcglobal.net)  



Wishing You New Beginnings!

Cindy



 
Mockingbird Studio
San Antonio, Texas













   

No comments:

Post a Comment