Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hey, Pardner! Time for Rodeo Limericks & Art Work


Frontier Freedom, the Life of the Cowboy

by Cindy Morawski



Leapin' Limericks on the Range
~~Cindy Morawski

There once was a man from St. Paul . . .  Oops!  No, I'm not going to share that limerick.  When's the last time you read or heard a limerick?  It might have been bawdy, silly, or just plain fun.  I remember reading Edward Lear's limericks in the past and laughing out-loud.  I liked his work for several reasons, but one was because he paired each one with a humorous illustration or painting.  Art and poetry can be an entertaining duo. 


Limericks were once named after the town of Limerick, Ireland.  They possess a strong rhyme and beat.  They can also be paired with music because of that.  The standard rhyme scheme is AABBA~~5 lines with the lines 1, 2, and 5 rhyming, and lines 3 and 4 rhyming.  Limericks popularity often stem from the fact that they can be witty, humorous, or full of nonsense.   


With the month of February comes the Annual San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo.  (Feb. 9th - 26th)  http://www.sarodeo.com/  Keeping that theme in mind, I'd like to pair my rodeo-inspired painting from above with some limericks of my own.  A little fiddle music please . . . here we go!


Horse with a Question 


There once was a wild horse on the range
Who considered himself a bit strange.
Although he was shy,
He always asked, "Why--
Did I mix with the mare who had mange?"


Rodeo Joe


There once was a shy cowboy named Joe
Who found fame in a Rodeo Show.
An old horse did he ride
And both took it in stride,
Till the tired horse stopped short and said, "NO!"


Texas~~The Cowboy State

Freedom on the Frontier


There once was a boy with a rage.
He cried, "I need freedom~~no cage . . . "
He ran from his girl
Whose name was ol' Pearl.
"No marriage with you will I wage!"



 Cowboy with a Question


There once was a cowboy with a question.
He inquired, "Do I have indigestion?"
The cook with the stew
Said, "No guess," for he knew~~
More pork and beans would cure his affliction. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last time I blogged, I included some haiku with my paintings.  I also asked you to send me some of your own.  Well, here's one from my friend and neighbor Betsy Kropp.  A trip to Paris inspired her so she sent me a photograph and a haiku.  Thanks, Betsy!

Photo & Haiku ~~ Paris Metro
by Betsy Kropp


Haiku


Opening its mouth
Hoping to snag tired tourists
"Yum," says the Metro.


If you want to send me limericks, I'll be glad to include them in my next blog.  We'll start a Poetry Revolution!  Please feel free to include a photo and/or artwork too.  Thanks!



Wishing you laughter and fun!
~~Cindy









The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment